It’s the Third Round of March Madness. This is definitely going to have some tough matchups…
(1) Westmalle Trappist Tripel v. (5) Fuller’s ESB
Winner: Westmalle Trappist Tripel
Comments: Wow, this one was a tough matchup. I thoroughly enjoyed both brews, but Fuller’s just couldn’t stand up to one of the best tripels that I’ve ever had.
(3) Unibroue Trois Pistoles v. (2) Fuller’s London Porter
Winner: Fuller’s London Porter
Comments: Although the offering from Unibroue was fantastic, the London Porter was one of the most drinkable and satisfying porters I’ve ever had. A close one, but Fuller’s came out on top.
(1) Founders Red’s Rye PA v. (4) Southern Tier Krampus Imperial Helles Lager
Winner: Founders Red’s Rye PA
Comments: This one wasn’t all that close. Although I appreciated trying an imperial helles lager, the rye pale ale was more my cup of tea, and one of the best beers I’ve ever had that showcased rye. Founders ran away with this one.
(3) Terrapin Reunion Beer 2011 v. (7) Lagunitas Censored
Winner: Terrapin Reunion Beer 2011
Comments: Almost any beer that I put up against the Terrapin brew was going to lose. Nothing against the Lagunitas offering, but it just couldn’t stand the heat (horrible pun, I know).
(1) Anchorage Bitter Monk v. (5) Kane Head High
Winner: Anchorage Bitter Monk
Comments: Nothing against the Kane brew, but it was just outmatched by the outstanding flavors of the Bitter Monk. This one was a blowout.
(3) Port Mongo IPA v. (2) Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA
Winner: Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA
Comments: This was a close one. Both were absolutely fantastic beers, but Stone gave me renewed faith in the black IPA style.
(1) Avery Out of Bounds Stout v. (4) Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Winner: Avery Out of Bounds Stout
Comments: This was a close one. Both were great beers, albeit from slightly different styles. What this one came down to was style preference, and for me, I chose the stout.
(3) Green Flash Double Stout v. (10) Victory Storm King
Winner: Green Flash Double Stout
Comments: This one wasn’t as close. Storm King was like the Gonzaga of beers. It got past the first two rounds, but you knew it would eventually be knocked out.
You can see the updated bracket here Round 4.Until next round…